How to apply for an Social security number?


Social Security Number:

F-1 students may apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) at a Social Security Administration (SSA) field office by submitting an Application for a Social Security Card. It is illegal to work in United States without a Social Security Number and it is the most required piece of identification to apply for Driver License, Medical Insurance, Job Application, Credit Card Application, Bank Account, etc..). In other words it is nearly impossible to live in US without a Valid SSN.

Documentation requirements for F-1 students to apply for SSN

An F-1 applicant must submit the following as part of his or her application for a SSN:

  • A completed Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card(Form Can be downloaded online)
  • At least two documents that establish the applicant’s age and identity including a passport and one additional document establishing identity (Ex: University ID)
  • Form I-94 (arrival/departure card)
  • SEVIS Form I-20
  • Proof of employment authorization. SSA will issue an SSN only to F-1 students who are authorized to be employed in the United States. This is provided by the department hiring in the university.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s